Thursday, October 6, 2016

Since we talked about determining whether a person is trustworthy

I thought students might find the piece linked below interesting, as well as the snip I captured from it.  While this piece is for new assistant professors, much of the tone of the piece should apply equally well to new junior executives who have just become managers.

There is one caveat I want to add.  If you have a technical competency and you were hired, in part, for that, it may be your skills are not replicated in your colleagues.  So they may not be able to understand your work at a deep level because they don't have the necessary background.  That issue is ignored in the linked piece.  It does matter, sometimes quite a lot.

1 comment:

  1. I believe this can translate to the social side of things when choosing friends and surrounding yourself with the right kind of people. For example the first one, "The Town Crier" could be somebody like your parents who support you no matter what.

    "The Listener" and "The Spy" could be your best friend who will always be there for you, my grandfather told me if you can find one real best friend in life, you are lucky. This can turn to business too, if you can find one great partner in life you are lucky because I believe there is great greed within human actions. I am not sure if there can be a great comparison for a "Super Spy", perhaps a romantic relationship. In my experiences my girl friends have become like my best friends, but they are outside of the friend group.

    I just found this interesting and wanted to share my comparison on it. The necessary components here for success are similar in relationships in the social sector.

    ReplyDelete