Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Some Sort of Spiritual Alternative to Being Online

When I was an undergrad at Cornell, there were quite a few weekends in the fall and the spring where we'd go traipsing around in the woods for a few hours, often at a park called Buttermilk Falls.  It seemed like a good thing to do.  Later when I was a grad student at Northwestern, I would sometimes sit on the rocks (artificial landfill) and stare at Lake Michigan, letting the view dominate my thoughts.

I wonder, do Illinois students do something like that now and, if so, what do students do to clear their heads?  This question was motivated by reading the piece linked below by Andrew Sullivan, a former uber blogger, very well published, who had a breakdown from being online all the time.  He ultimately recovered but now seems to be reverting to his old ways.  It's a long read, but interesting, at least it was to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment